Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Under Fire (Love Over Duty #1) by Scarlett Cole ~**~



***5 ‘I Got Your Six’ Stars***

When an author I already fangirl over announces that a new series will be coming out I get all kinds of giddy and excited, as well anxious over if I will love it as much as the ones already out there. I always tell myself to trust the author, but one never knows. But in this case I had no need to worry, because Under Fire was a great read and start to this new series. It has a balanced mix of action, suspense and romance with humor, heart and heat that kept me turning the pages and making me want the next in the series right now.

I absolutely adored Louisa. In fact I’m pretty much girl crushing on her. She’s an enigma. In certain situations she is assertive, determined and quite a force to be reckoned with. In others she’s uncertain, shy and awkward. That in and of itself was a huge draw, but the biggest pull was her mind and how it worked. It was fascinating to see how she worked through everything thrown at her and how despite all the crazy going on around she actually kept a level head even when her emotions were all over the place.

While I was girl crushing on Louisa, I was also crushing on Six. He’s got that all American good guy vibe going on around, but still has his little quirks that make him approachable.  His time as a SEAL has honed his observation skills so that he can pick up on the tiniest shift, but it’s how he approaches those shifts that show how genuine and compassionate his heart is.

Six and Louisa’s opposites attract relationship was fun to watch. What I found the most entertaining was that while Six did things that Louisa didn’t always know how to handle, it was Louisa who kept Six on his toes throughout the book, even when he figured her out, she didn’t always do what he expected her to do. I had to laugh at the whole “we need to keep things professional” phase of their relationship, because even I knew it was too late for it due to the sparks already flying between them. While there was drama going on around them, the drama between them was relatively low, which I liked and I’m happy with where they were at in the end.

The writing was engaging, as always, the pacing was good and I enjoyed the dual 3rd person POV. I did guess at who was behind the crazyness early on, but it didn’t take anything away from the story for me. I liked seeing how everything played out and the fact that while there were some twists, nothing got overly complicated or confusing and I thought that everything worked out the way it was supposed to. As for the secondary characters, I’m looking forward to getting to know the guys at Eagle Securities a lot better. While we only got glimpses into some of their backgrounds, it was more than enough to peak my interest and want more. So when does the next book come out??

~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~

HE CAN TAKE THE HEAT.

Hot, hard-bodied Sixten Rapp is a former SEAL who’s raring to begin his brand-new civilian life. He and his Navy “brothers” start a security firm that offers the kind of services only a team of military-trained professionals can provide. But nothing prepared Six for his new client: an innocent woman on a mission to improve thousands of lives. . . unless someone takes hers first.

CAN SHE HANDLE THE FLAMES?

Dr. Louisa North knows time is against her as she tries to create a “miracle” medical treatment for a disease with no known cure, until she creates a sample so powerful that the wrong people want to use it as a chemical weapon. At first, Six is unwilling to accept Louisa as his client. But soon he realizes that the danger is real and that there’s much more to this plain-Jane scientist…including a burning passion between them that neither of them can resist. And now that an enemy is on Louisa’s trail, Six will do whatever it takes to protect her—or die trying.

Book Summary
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Published By: St Martin’s Press
Release Date: August 1st, 2017
Pages: 300
Series: Love Over Duty #1
ISBN:  1250128447




Scarlett Cole is a contemporary romantic suspense / contemporary romance author (represented by Beth Phelan at The Bent Agency). Author of the Second Circle Tattoos Series. The Strongest Steel was a Best Debut Goodreads Author Finalist 2015, and Authors on the Air Global Radio Network #1 Contemporary Romance Pick for 2015.
When Scarlett isn't writing, she spends her time reading, hoarding mason jars, and working out to off-set an epic sour candy habit.
Having travelled the world for work and fun, Scarlett is a citizen of both Britain and Canada. A true city-dweller, she considers Toronto and Manchester home and likes to set her books in vibrant locations such as Miami and Los Angeles.

Comments