Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Cherish Hard (Hard Play #1) by Nalini Singh ~**~

***5 ‘Spitfire and Demon’ Stars***


Ever since meeting the Bishop/Esera clan in Rock Hard (Rock Kiss #2 ~ which is my absolute fav of the series) I adored them and wanted to spend more time with them. I didn’t care if it was through the shorts that Ms. Singh generously sends out in her newsletters or a novella, I just wanted MORE. So when she announced that they would get their own series I squeed (in my head), did a happy dance (also in my head), and waited patiently (well...impatiently but patiently all the same) for the announcement as to when the first book would be in my greedy little hands and the wait and anxious anticipation were sooo worth it! I swooned, my heart got all kinds of twitterpated, my cheeks hurt from smiling so much and I melted in every delicious way possible as I savored every word of Sailor and Ísa’s journey towards their HEA.


I adored Sailor and Ísa, not that I expected to feel any different about them, but it still needs to be stated. Sailor is all kinds of charming alpha male who isn’t afraid to play dirty to get what he wants. He is still haunted by the darkest moments of his childhood and is determined to ensure that he doesn’t repeat those moments in his adult life. Sailor’s love of his family and innate sense of honor were a huge draw, but his honesty, golden heart and even his sneaky side were what I loved the most.


Although Ísa has grown up in a world where she could have anything and everything she could possibly want, it was a lonely existence and on she refuses to repeat in any measure. I adored the way Ísa’s mind worked. She’s that lucky individual who has complete access to both the left and right sides of her brain and used them both to her advantage. She’s sassy and, when the circumstances are right, a bit impetuous, but she has a compassionate and genuine heart that shines through in everything she does.


Ísa and Sailor’s journey was definitely a fun one and proved that the little thing called fate does exist and that sometimes following your gut, and heart, will make all your dreams come true. While there were a few bumps in the road, and some chasing, there was no OTT angsty-ness in the drama that did touch their journey. It was simply a matter of two people working through their own issues and deciding how much they would allow them to influence their hearts.  The chemistry between them was smokin’ hot and there was no doubt that they were perfectly matched in every way that mattered and more.


This really was a fun read and was everything I’ve come to love when it comes to a Nalini Singh story. Wonderful prose, well written characters, a world I never want to leave and fun chapter titles. I loved getting to spend time with the Esera/Bishop clan and am totally looking forward to Jake and Danny’s books. Getting a glimpse of their teenage selves was so much fun and I cannot wait to get to know the men they’ll become. The Dragon definitely added some great moments and I hope that we’ll get to see more of Harlow and Catie as well as Nanya and Raj (even if it’s in short story or novella form).


Note: If you haven’t read Rock Hard, or the Rock Kiss series in general, and want to dive into Cherish Hard, go for it! You won’t be lost at all since Cherish Hard takes place long before The Bishop (Gabriel, Sailor’s older brother) meets his Miss Baird. But, I have no doubt that once you finish Cherish Hard you’ll be more than happy to dive into those books!


~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~


Sailor Bishop has only one goal for his future – to create a successful landscaping business. No distractions allowed. Then he comes face-to-face and lips-to-lips with a woman who blushes like an innocent… and kisses like pure sin.


Ísa Rain craves a man who will cherish her, aches to create a loving family of her own. Trading steamy kisses with a hot gardener in a parking lot? Not the way to true love. Then a deal with the devil (aka her CEO-mother) makes Ísa a corporate VP for the summer. Her main task? Working closely with a certain hot gardener.


And Sailor Bishop has wickedness on his mind.


As Ísa starts to fall for a man who makes her want to throttle and pounce on him at the same time, she knows she has to choose – play it safe and steady, or risk all her dreams and hope Sailor doesn’t destroy her heart.

Release Date: November 14th, 2017
Goodreads | Amazon US *CA * UK | B&N | Kobo | iBooks

I've been writing as long as I can remember and all of my stories always held a thread of romance (even when I was writing about a prince who could shoot lasers out of his eyes). I love creating unique characters, love giving them happy endings and I even love the voices in my head. There's no other job I would rather be doing. In September 2002, when I got the call that Silhouette Desire wanted to buy my first book, Desert Warrior, it was a dream come true. I hope to continue living the dream until I keel over of old age on my keyboard.

Comments