Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Undercover Magic (Dragon’s Gift: The Valkyrie #1) by Linsey Hall ~**~

'
***4.5 Stars***


I must admit that I while I was excited to dive back into the Dragon’s Gift world, I was also a little hesitant because as much as I enjoyed Cass, Nix and Del’s as a whole, I had my fair share of ups and downs with each and really hoped that I’d start out on the right foot with this one and I’m happy to say I had nothing to worry about! Bree and Ana’s stories (though Bree is the main focus right now) started out with a bang and though there were a few slow parts (a total it’s not you, it’s me thing) I had a great time meeting and learning about this new group of characters and this new


I really liked Bree and Ana from the first time I met them in Nix’s journey and learning about what they’d been through as children and all that they’ve been doing since made me like them even more. Both are strong, resilient, unfailingly loyal to one another and both have strong personalities and a good dose of snark and sass. Trust issues abound for both Bree and Ana, but they aren’t too proud to accept help when necessary. As this one does focus more on Bree, I loved her honesty and her gung ho nature and find her quirks quite amusing.


As for the other characters that we meet in this one, Cade ~ the God of War ~ is already an intriguing character and will make for an interesting partner as the journey progresses as well as a love interest. I’m looking forward to getting to know more about the Undercover Protectorate and those who are apart of it, especially Caro, Ali and Haris and seeing just how destructive the Pups of Destruction will turn out to be.


The story itself was well paced and Ms. Hall’s attention to detail brought the world to life and the lagged I felt at times was due more to my own impatience to find out what was coming up next than anything to do with the story itself. And since it appears that we may have a slight advantage as to what kind of Unknown Bree is (maybe) it’ll be fun to see how everything plays out and just how it will impact everyone around her.


~ Copy provided by the author & voluntarily reviewed ~

I’ve got two choices. Join the Undercover Protectorate. Or die.

In a world of controlled magic, I’m an Unknown. Deadly power, little control. I’m only alive because I pay a Blood Sorcerer to keep me hidden. But when he comes to collect on the debt I can’t pay, one of his goons slams me with a deadly curse. Suddenly, I’m out of options and out of time.

When I’m given a rare chance to join the elite Undercover Protectorate and train at their academy to become an investigator, I have a way to hunt the cure for the curse. They have resources I don’t. Easy, since I’m broke.

Seems like a good play, right? At least, until they tell me Cade will be joining me on my hunt for the Blood Sorcerer. He’s an actual Celtic war god--and the hottest guy I’ve ever seen. The catch? I can’t let him know that I’m an Unknown, or I’m out on my ass and deader than Hades.

Undercover Magic is a fast-paced urban fantasy with a kick-butt heroine, a tough hero, and magic that will knock your socks off.

Release Date: December 1st, 2017

Linsey Hall is the author of the Mythean Arcana, an adventurous paranormal romance series set in Scotland and other exotic locales. Before becoming a romance novelist, Linsey was a nautical archaeologist who studied shipwrecks from Hawaii and the Yukon to the UK and the Mediterranean. She credits the historical romances of the 70's, 80's, and 90's with her love of history and her decision to become an archaeologist. After a decade of tromping around the globe in search of old bits of stuff, she settled down and started penning her own romance novels. Her books draw upon her love of history, travel, and the paranormal elements that she can't help but include. Several of her books may or may not feature her cats


Comments