Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Tangled in Texas (Texas Rodeo #2) by Kari Lynn Dell ~**~





***4.5 “I seem to have run out of f*cks to give” Stars***


~ 4 Stars for Delon & Tori’s journey,  .5 Stars for Shawnee, Beni, Fudge and Muella ~


After finishing Reckless in Texas there was no doubt in my mind that I’d be picking up the next book in the series. I loved the writing and characters that populated it. Admittedly I wanted Wyatt to be next up on the chopping block because, well, it’s Wyatt, but was more than happy to see what Fate would throw Delon’s way after what happened to him and I wasn’t disappointed. Tangled in Texas is more than a simple second chance romance, it’s about two people coming to terms with what Fate has thrown at them and deciding if they will take make a concerted effort to live the life they want or not.


With his bronc riding future up in the air, the family he’s made with the Jacobs clan changing it’s composition and his uncertainty of his place at Sanchez Trucking, the family business, Delon feels as if his entire world is crashing down around him and turns him into someone even he doesn’t recognize. It took me a while to warm up to Delon, I understood and empathized with the uncertainty he felt about where he was in his life, but man could he hold on to a funk like a pro. Thankfully he does pull his head out of his ass with a little help from outside forces, it’s a slow and painful process, but it happens and what is uncovered is a sweet, thoughtful, sexy man who will go that extra mile for those he cares about.


Tori has spent the majority of her life being viewed through the lens of those she is connected to instead of for who she is on her own. She has accepted that fact and rolled with it, but has also made sure to march to the beat of her own drum when she could. With the unexpected death of her husband, she has decided that it is finally time to truly stand on her own two feet and live the life she wants. I adored Tori. She was sweet, outspoken and I loved how she was doing the things that made her soul happy as she works to figure out just who she is and where she wants to be.


This is a second chance romance, but if you are expecting, and wanting, any sort of insta-ness to happen then you’ll be sorely disappointed. What goes on between Delon and Tori falls firmly on the slow burn side of the coin and I quite frankly loved that fact. They both had things they needed to sort through and were in no way ready for a romantic relationship, but thanks to their professional relationship they have the opportunity to get to know who the other is now and find that the connection they felt all those years ago hasn’t disappeared and that they really like who the other is now. But as with their first go around, communication is not their strong point, thankfully they have quite a few people ready to step in and kick some sense into them when they didn’t know they needed it. They both make mistakes and end up doing stupid things, but I loved how things worked out in the end.


As with the first book, I loved the supporting cast of characters, but my favorite this time around was Shawnee (I really do want to be her when I grow up, though I think we’ll leave the roping to her). Her lack of edit button and telling it like it is was a breath of fresh air and I am thrilled that we’ll be getting her book next. Beni was precocious as ever and Fudge and Muella’s antics had me chuckling. Wyatt, who was my favorite from Reckless, does get a little page time in this one and yet still made an impact. I loved getting to know Gil better, spending time with the Jacobs clan, and meeting Tori’s family.


The writing was engaging and though the pacing at times dragged a bit due to the inner monologuing of the characters, I can’t help but respect the author’s dedication to giving the characters time to grow and figure things out in a realistic way. While I’m not well versed in all that goes into the various rodeo events and will admit that some things went right over my head, but it’s obvious Ms. Dell knows her stuff (check out her FB page if you don’t believe me) but also knows how to bring it to vibrant life on the page. If you’re looking for a slow burn, character driven cowboy romance with well developed characters that you won’t want to say goodbye to when the book ends, then give this series a go because you won’t be sorry


~ Copy provided by the author via NetGalley ~



It took 32 seconds to end his career. But it only took 1 to change his life.


Thirty-two seconds. That’s how long it took for Delon Sanchez’s life to end. One minute he was the best bronc rider in the Panhandle and the next he was nothing. Knee shattered, future in question, all he can do is pull together the pieces…and wonder what cruel trick of Fate has thrown him into the path of his ex, the oh-so-perfect Tori Patterson.


Tori’s come home after her husband’s death, intent on escaping the public eye. It’s just her luck that Delon limps into her physical therapy office, desperate for her help. All hard-packed muscle and dark-eyed temptation, he’s never been anything but a bad idea. And yet, seeing him again, Tori can’t remember what made her choose foolish pride over love…or why, with this second, final chance to right old wrongs, the smart thing would be to run from this gorgeous rodeo boy as fast as her boots can take her.


Book Summary
Genre: Contemporary Western Romance
Published By: SourceBooks Casablanca
Release Date: January 7th, 2017
Series: Texas Rodeo #2









Kari Lynn Dell is a native of north central Montana, a third generation ranch-raised cowgirl, horse trainer and rodeo competitor, most recently the 2013 Canadian Senior Pro Rodeo Association Breakaway Roping Champion. She attended her first rodeo at two weeks old and has existed in a state of horse-induced poverty ever since. She currently resides on the family ranch on the Blackfeet Reservation, loitering in her parents’ bunkhouse along with her husband, son and Max the Cowdog, with a tipi on the front step, a view of Glacier National Park from her writing desk and Canada within spitting distance.


Come visit at Kari Lynn Dell.com, hear what's next on the publication front, learn firsthand about ranch life on the east slope of Rockies and laugh at the tales of woe and wonder that come with living on the northern frontier. Really, someone should be filming this stuff. Occasionally, we do.



Comments