***5 ‘Definitely a Trigger’ Stars***
This book sent me on an emotional roller coaster ride, but not in the way I expected, or at least not fully. I got a well rounded story of not only two young people falling in love, making decisions that tore them apart and then slowly, sometimes frustratingly so, coming back together and finding that the love they felt as teenagers was timeless, but also of a group of people who became a family by choice and whose bonds only grow stronger as time progresses.
Damian has fended for himself since he was a young child as he had to bear the brunt of a cruel, twisted and obsessive mind, which caused him to keep to himself even as the anger from the unjust treatment grew steadily inside him. But one kind gesture changes his entire world. God, my heart hurt for Damian to see what he went through, and how he survived, was brutal, but through strength of will and a little help from outside sources he didn’t fall into the darkness. Instead he came out of it with a heart so big that he doesn’t always know what to do with it. I loved his over protective smexy tall dark silent and broody alpha ways, though there were many times I wanted to Gibbs smack the man for not speaking up when he needed to.
Thea has always been surrounded by a loving and caring family. She tends to follow her gut and heart over her mind and has a way of getting under a person’s skin and into their hearts without either of them realizing it. I loved Thea. She’s quirky and has a heart of gold. I loved her quirk, verbal vomiting because there was actually a point to it. She is a tough little cookie and had no problem speaking her mind when necessary.
Damian and Thea’s relationship brought out all the feels because we got to experience everything as they happened from start to finish and it made it so easy to continue to root for them to get over themselves and have their HEA, and believe me both of them put me through the ringer where I had to fight the urge to toss my Kindle in the freezer a few times. But what was clear was their hearts were still connected, but their minds needed to catch up. Thankfully, they figure it and prove why they are perfect together. Thea’s outgoing nature balanced out Damian’s much more reserved one, but they were perfectly matched when it came to wanting to protect and take care those they call their own.
The writing, as always, was engaging and the story was well paced. The mystery/suspense storyline was a bit of a surprise, but done well and kept me guessing until the very end. But what I loved the most were Thea and Damian’s very diverse “family”. Each one was well written and can’t wait to get to know them all better as the series progresses.
~ Copy provided by The Next Step PR ~
Damian Tate. One look into his sad green eyes and I was hooked. I wanted to be the one to make him laugh, to make him smile. I hadn't expected him to be the one to make me blush, to make me hot...to make me fall in love. He was my first kiss, my first love, my first everything. I wanted forever with him, but life got in the way.
He enlisted, I went to college, and for years we were never in the same place long enough to pick up where we left off.
Thirteen years after he left, tragedy brings him home. The stoic boy I fell in love with grew into a quiet, dangerous and wildly sexy man. He still tugs on all the right strings for me, but he seems determined to keep me at arm's-length.
However, when trouble comes knocking at my door, he is the one to put himself between that trouble and me.
L.A. Fiore is the author of several books including: Beautifully Damaged, Waiting for the One and A Glimpse of the Dream. She’s also the social secretary for her two children, a tamer of ill-mannered cats, the companion to one awesome dog and married to her best friend. She likes her wine red, her shrimp chilled and her social gatherings small and intimate.


Comments
Post a Comment