***4 ‘Chicken Dance’ Stars***
Have you ever read a book where you spent half the book loving the characters and the other half wanting to reach through the pages and smack ‘em and yet couldn’t put the book down? That was this book for me. I swear it was being on the mood swing express except I couldn’t for the life of me get off the damn ride. I had no choice but to keep turning the pages because I needed to see how everything turned out and what that lightbulb moment would be for both Mason and Daisy when they finally figured out what was right in front of them.
I had a major ‘love/need to smack some sense into them’ relationship with both Daisy and Mason. Daisy’s belief that she is ‘less than’ everyone else has become her armour and she’s become quite comfortable with it to the point that she points out her “failures” with so much ease that it’s like breathing for her. I honestly loved Daisy. She has a quick wit, compassionate heart and once she finds a comfort zone has quite the backbone. Her constant devaluation of herself was irritating and yet I understood why she believed the things she did. When you are told something enough it’s easy to believe it and only see it as a slap in the face. Thankfully she does start to gain more confidence in herself, it’s a slow process, but it happens and I loved watching her shed the armour.
Mason has grown up always projecting a certain image and keeping his emotions locked down tight. In some cases it was necessary, in others it was done out of pure fear at being put in a vulnerable situation where emotions would be exposed. This man. Gruff, abrupt and broody alpha male all while being sweet, charming and compassionate. His heart is truly golden, even when he’s trying desperately to make others, and himself, believe he doesn’t have one.
To say their relationship is rocky is an understatement. Between their insecurities and desperate need to keep from falling for each other it’s a constant roller coaster ride, but when they let their guards down a spark starts to grow and becomes this beacon in the night that you want them to keep burning between them because they are that good together. Their bantering was fun and I liked how they pushed each other to overcome their personal obstacles. Sometimes it was a bit much, but considering how set in their ways they needed good, hard kicks in the arses...a lot. The build up to their HEA was pretty intense in quite a few ways and though I’m still debating over how I feel about how it all went down, I’m happy that they figured their shit out because I really do love them together.
This is my first book by Natasha Anders and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing was engaging, pacing good and I enjoyed the dual - ish 3rd person POV’s. This is a character driven story and I really liked how both characters evolved over the span of the book. Nothing felt “insta”, physical attraction aside, and I liked where they both ended up at the end of the book. The supporting cast was well written and there were even a few I wanted to gut with a spoon, but they definitely made the book interesting. And if that epilogue is anything to go by, there may be another couple from this book getting their own which may prove to be an interesting story, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for it.
~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley ~
She was supposed to be his one-night distraction. But their attraction is undeniable.
Introverted Daisy McGregor is used to being a wallflower, but what she lacks in style, she makes up for with an acerbic wit, a passion for life, and a deep devotion to her family. So she’ll suffer through her sister Dahlia’s bachelorette party and accept the cloud of pity for going stag to the wedding.
Out at the pub, sexy bad boy Mason Carlisle is a reluctant wingman tasked with entertaining Daisy while his brother flirts with her oldest sister, Daffodil. When the plan fails and Mason’s true intent is revealed, he feels intense guilt—and a sensual spark of desire for the unlikeliest of women.
Daisy decides to use this unfortunate encounter to her advantage: to make it up to her, Mason will be another kind of wingman, playing the role of her boyfriend and wedding date. Will their ruse unravel completely—or will Mason and Daisy’s undeniable attraction ignite a scorching love affair that knows no rules?
Book Summary
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Published By: Montlake Romance
Release Date: March 7th, 2017
Pages: 316
ASIN: B01KNV4AU6
Since making her publishing debut in 2012, Natasha Anders has been drawing praise and attention as a new voice in romance. The Unwanted Wife, which became a self-published bestseller, is the first title in Anders’s forthcoming Unwanted series. Born in Cape Town, South Africa, Anders spent nine years as an associate English teacher in Niigata, Japan, where she became a legendary karaoke diva. Anders currently lives in Cape Town.

Comments
Post a Comment