Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Open Hearts by Eve Dangerfield ~**~



***4 ‘Roller Coaster’ Stars***

Open Hearts was one of those books that had me considering chucking my Kindle into the freezer numerous times throughout the story because the characters drove me batsh*t crazy and yet made it difficult for me to put down because I needed to know what would happen next with them. It was a vicious cycle that left me with a huge case of whiplash, but in the end the crazy was worth experiencing.

Ash and Dean were interesting characters. Ash I had a difficult time with and spent half the book not liking her all that much. I admired her work ethic, determination to make her future the opposite of her past and how loyal she was to those she called her own. But I found her cold at times and it irked me how she was quick to judge people and yet hated when she was judged. Dean is that person you want to hug while smacking them upside the head. He’s sweet, has such a genuinely kind heart it makes you melt  and yet there are times when common sense just totally escape him. I don’t want to say he’s immature, just clueless and more than happy to just go with the flow.

Since Ash and Dean drove me crazy, it will come as no surprise that their journey to their HEA did the same. There were so many times where I wanted to reach into my Kindle and shake them both it was crazy, and I could go on and on and on about each instance, but that would turn this into a dissertation and no one wants that. What I will say is that they actually fit together and the journey helped them grow and become better versions of themselves without fully changing them on a fundamental level.

This was my first read by this author and I have to say it was an experience. The characters may have driven me to violence more often than not, but they also fascinated me with their quirks and brought out all the feels and one simply cannot ignore that. Open Hearts is one of those books that I’m happy I experienced and, in the end, did enjoy, but I’m not sure if I could go another round with Ash and Dean...at least not anytime soon.

~ Copy provided by the author & voluntarily reviewed ~


Ash Bennett’s had enough. She’s not wasting any more time longing for Prince Charming and getting stuck with Prince 'Babe, What’s For Dinner?'
If she can’t find a respectable, self-sufficient man to start a family with she’ll just do it by herself. It's better than pinning all your hopes on a guy who's never going to make you happy. Take Dean Sherwood, sure he’s stupid hot but that doesn’t pay the bills or remember to pick you up from the airport. No, they’re just having a little fun until Ash can find a donor. Right?
If only it was that easy...
Everyone loves Dean. He’s easygoing, a great footballer and always up for a beer or sixteen. He also has the attention span of a Cocker Spaniel on MDMA, but that’s never been a problem where the opposite sex is concerned. At least it wasn’t until he met Ash. Beautiful, driven and wild in bed; she's all he's ever wanted in a wife.
Unfortunately, he's far from what she wants in a husband, what with his perpetually empty bank account and inability to cook anything other than bacon. When she tells him he’s not baby-daddy material, Dean vows to become the man she needs, whatever it takes.
Open Hearts is the sequel to Locked Box. It features angst, bogans, hot sex, naked snowboarding and the triumphant return of Max and Julia who are dealing with a romantic dilemma of their own.

Release Date: April 25th, 2017


Eve Dangerfield has loved romance novels since she first started swiping her grandmother’s paperbacks. Now she writes her own sexy tales about complex women and gorgeous-but-slightly-tortured men. Her work has been described as ‘the defibrillator contemporary romance needs right now,’ and not by herself, or even her mum, but OTHER PEOPLE.
Eve currently lives in Melbourne with her boy, a bunch of semi-dead plants and a rabbit named Billy. When she's not writing she can usually be found making a big ol' mess.


Comments