Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Muscle Memory by Stylo Fantome ~**~

***5 ‘ In Love We Trust’ Stars***

The description of the book was the hook. I have read a few of the author’s books so I’m familiar with her style and diversity, but the description just did it for me. It peaked the curiosity of the beast in me that loves people watching and just seeing what their reactions will be to what is going on in front of them, add in the fact that our main character wakes up with full blown amnesia? That was like catnip to me. And what a rollercoaster of a ride Muscle Memory was in every way. I had ALL the FEELS. All of them. The good, the bad, the I want to gut someone with a spoon FEELS. I became fully invested in the characters and needed to see where this unorthodox journey would take them.

I’ve started, stopped and deleted this review so many times I swear I’m giving myself a complex and it’s not because the book was horrible, my rating proves it was the exact opposite. It’s simply that there is so much to gush about, but I don’t want to spoil any second of it because this is a book one needs to go into as blind as one possibly can. But if I don’t get the words out, I’ll go crazy so here goes nothing.

From the very beginning I loved the flow of the story. How we got to see and get to know Jon before and Jon in the present as he worked to figure out what and who he wanted to be in his new existence and see if he ever remembered who he used to be. And I have to say I liked both of Jon’s existences, I didn’t always agree with his choices in either ~ he stumbled a bit in both, but his soul was a good one. It was fascinating to see how he reacted to the various roadblocks in his journey and how, for the most part, he came out stronger once he navigated his way around them.

As for the girl in the fog. She is quite unique, as are all of Ms. Fantome’s women ~ at least the ones I’ve had a chance to meet. I loved her quirks and spirit, though I will admit I did have a few WTF moments with her, but her zest for life was like a beacon in the night and I couldn’t help but follow her where she went.

And then there is the love story and I’ll admit right here that it owned my heart. The FEELS were real, hell I did the whole tearing up sniffly thing while being pissed at the same time thing because one character was breaking my heart while I wanted to gut another with a spoon (This happen a few times so…). There were a lot of bumps in the road and a few times I growled at the characters, but in the end it showed that though the mind may forget and the heart may be wary, the soul never forgets what true love is.

I know this review is kinda verbal vomit-y and vague, but it is what it is. I was hooked from the start, and though there was a bit of a lull for me at one point, once I passed the 50% mark I didn’t want to put it down. The characters were all well written and had their own unique quirks. My favorite was Sloany. I seriously want to be her when I grow up. But overall this was a fun read that pulled out all the feels, and it quite possibly may be my favorite Stylo Fantome book to date!

~ Copy provided by Give Me Books Promotions & voluntarily reviewed ~

Her lips, the way she feels, how she moves against me. Her voice when she laughs, her eyes when she cries. Her soul connected to mine, for better or for worse, for all eternity.

I don't remember.

A blank face. Unrecognizable. The darkness and impenetrable fog, day after day after day. Who am I? And for that matter, who is she?

I can't remember.

Two sides to the same coin – one wants to remember, and the other wants to stay forgotten. Which side will win? Can he trust his heart to bring him back to her? Or will she stay lost in the fog forever?

I might never remember.


warning: features adult themes

Release Date: August 28th, 2017
Goodreads | Amazon US * UK * CA * AU


Crazy woman from a remote location in Alaska (where the need for a creative mind is a necessity!), I have been writing since … forever? Yeah, that sounds about right. I have been told that I remind people of Lucille Ball - I also see shades of Jennifer Saunders, and Denis Leary. So basically, I laugh a lot, I’m clumsy a lot, and I say the F-word A LOT.

I like dogs more than I like most people, and I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t drink. No, I do not live in an igloo, and no, the sun does not set for six months out of the year, there’s your Alaska lesson for the day. I have mermaid hair - both a curse and a blessing - and most of the time I talk so fast, even I can’t understand me.

Yeah. I think that about sums me up.


Comments