Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Lucas (Cold Fury Hockey #8) by Sawyer Bennett ~**~

***3.5 Stars***


After meeting Lucas in Max (one of my fav’s of the series) I knew I wanted to find out more about him and I got all kinds squee/happy dancing when it was announced Lucas was getting his own book...and let’s not even get me started about that cover *drools a little*. So I happily dove into the book and while it started off great it unfortunately didn’t stay great for me. It truly pains me to say this, but as much as I loved Lucas and liked Stephanie, their journey to their HEA just didn’t do it for me. It was sweet and holy hell smexy (but then again this IS Sawyer Bennett we are talking about and she knows how to bring the heat) but there were just things that just didn’t do it for me in the end.


Now before any pitchforks come out I did say I loved Lucas, and I did. The man is all kinds of sweet, smexy, compassionate goodness with a heart of gold. Yeah, he likes the perks of being a hockey god and I can’t fault him for that at all. But what I loved about him was that he wasn’t an island, meaning he asked for help and advice and if he was wrong he would admit it.


And then there is Stephanie. I loved her strength, humor and how she owned her sexuality. My heart hurt for what she went through as a child and I was more than ready to throw down for her because of it. But while I absolutely understand why she never allows anyone close, it started to grate on my nerves because all I could see what this strong woman allowing others to keep her down. I wanted her to take off the blinders, see the amazing that was within reach and throw up the double bird to her past and the hurt that lay there, and take the good that was within reach.


As for Luc and Steph’s journey. As I said, things started out great. I absolutely approved of how they were dealing with the pregnancy and their plan. I thought it was perfect for their situation and I was even good with how they decided to keep the smexy times going, because why the hell not...they were SMEXY together. But then came that moment and while I totally understand that here are two people who are working at getting to know each other, kinda, and they’ve been tossed into a situation they never saw coming, this moment/situation had me going “WTF? Am I reading a YA romance now?” and from there on out things shifted for me. I hate that it happened because the truth of the matter is I really liked Luc and Steph together when they were just being themselves. They had great interactions, not only the smexy kind, and the chemistry was there, but the push/pull and their constant hiding of their feelings and not pulling their big boy/girl panties up got tiring.


If you’ve read any of my reviews you know how much I love ensemble casts and having the characters we’ve come to know and love (most of the time) make appearances in the books, whether they help move the storyline along or are just popping up with an update of what’s going on with them. So it should come as no surprise that hanging out with the Cold Fury family was what kept me turning the pages (they are the .5 in the rating). I loved finding out what was going on with the players I love and I swear if I didn’t already adore Max and Jules, this book would have pushed them to that level. Then there is Van, the lead male for the next book in the series. I am absolutely intrigued by him and from the tease we got ad I need his book in my life...like yesterday!


I’m well aware that I will not love every book an author I fangirl over will put out. That sometimes it could simply be the mood I’m in that day or be a side effect of a book I just read, but it still pains me that Lucas didn’t do it for me like I wanted it too *sad pouty face* So, I am chalking it up to the whole “It’s not you, it’s me” thing and say that if you’ve loved this series so far and the author in general, then dive on in and I hope you absolutely love it!


~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~



The Carolina Cold Fury hockey team is stacked with hotshots. But when a new player joins their ranks, he learns that even superstars can’t go it alone when it comes to love.


Lucas Fournier is only serious about one thing: hockey. The league’s fun-loving charmer, Luc is always up for a good prank or a great lay, and he has no intention of settling down. But being traded to the Carolina Cold Fury—and to play alongside his big brother, Max—is no joke. With another title in sight, the last thing Luc wants is to let his new teammates down. To succeed, Luc will need to keep his head in the game and the most . . . er, demanding member of his anatomy in check. But when temptation hits, Luc hits back harder.


Museum curator Stephanie Frazier has always put business before pleasure, which just about explains her nonexistent sex life. But when Stephanie meets Luc at a champagne-fueled gala, she finds herself flirting like crazy—and going home with the uninhibited athlete. For one night, she learns what passion is all about. She just never counted on the little surprise Luc leaves behind. And that’s when things really start to get . . . interesting.


Sawyer Bennett’s New York Times bestselling Carolina Cold Fury series can be read together or separately


Book Summary
Genre: Sports Romance
Published By: Random House - Loveswept
Release Date: September 19th, 2017
Pages: 244
Series: Cold Fury Hockey #8
ASIN B01MS0WJ0T



Since the release of her debut contemporary romance novel, Off Sides, in January 2013, Sawyer Bennett has released more than 30 books and has been featured on both the USA Today and New York Times bestseller lists on multiple occasions.
A reformed trial lawyer from North Carolina, Sawyer uses real life experience to create relatable, sexy stories that appeal to a wide array of readers. From new adult to erotic contemporary romance, Sawyer writes something for just about everyone.
Sawyer likes her Bloody Marys strong, her martinis dirty, and her heroes a combination of the two. When not bringing fictional romance to life, Sawyer is a chauffeur, stylist, chef, maid, and personal assistant to a very active toddler, as well as full-time servant to two adorably naughty dogs. She believes in the good of others, and that a bad day can be cured with a great work-out, cake, or a combination of the two.


Comments