Skip to main content

~***~ ARC Review: Scoring Off the Field (WAGS #2) by Naima Simone ~**~

***5 Stars***

There were a few factors that came into play when it came to this book.

1) The Cover. It’s hot. Plain and simple.
2) I’m kind of a sucker for the friends to lovers trope.
3) An author I stal..*cough* follow was giving out much praise for the first book in the series (which I have not read...yet).
So with all of that thrown into the mix I decided I NEEDED to get my hands on this one and I DEVOURED it.

I did.

I did the whole “I’ll just take a tinsy peek at it” *clears throat* got totally invested and had to do the #phoneappthing because that #workthing needed to get done, so...I finished it in a couple hours total because I couldn’t put it down. I needed to know what would happen next between Tennyson (love the name btw) and Dom and didn’t want anything to happen without me (I know. I know, but no one said logic played into things) and lemme just say these two took my on a ride, but I enjoyed every sweet, smexy, heartbreaking and frustrating moment right up until there were no more words to read.
Dom is focused. Like OMG tunnel vision focused and while it was Gibbs smack inducing frustrating, I understood why he was so adamant about sticking to his plan and couldn’t really fault him because his heart was in the right place. Tenny was sweet, sassy and would be someone I’d love to have in my squad, though there were would be a few things she’d be restricted from. Her past broke my heart, but I loved how she not only wanted to be more than her past, but also wanted to make a difference because of it.

It was hard NOT to get caught up in all that was going on between Tenny and Dom because it was so easy to see how good they were together. Their shared past gave them that special bond that not many find, but it was also made it difficult for Dom to see Tenny as anything but a friend. While the angst was relatively low, it was there and always simmering between them as things between them heated up, and when they finally hit the boiling point, it was all kinds of smexy, but brought about more bumps in the road for them to traverse. As much as I loved Dom, I was definitely Team Tennyson ~ even when I knew her some of her choice wouldn’t end well, I still backed her. And when they hit the huge sinkhole in their journey, it wasn’t a surprise, but it was harsh. Thankfully the grovelling was done quite well and the epilogue was all it should be.

I’m very happy I took a chance because this book was a lot of fun to read. The writing was engaging, the pacing was good and I enjoyed the dual 3rd person POV a lot. Even though this is the second book in the series and you meet the couple from the first one, it can be read as a standalone, though I am hoping to make a hole in my TBR list to get to that one sooner rather than later. I really liked all of the secondary characters, but Ronin is my favorite of the bunch and cannot wait for his book. But no matter whose book is next, I’ll definitely be looking to get my hands on it!

~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~


Tennyson Clark is getting a life. First step: quitting her job as assistant to Dominic Anderson, star quarterback for the Washington Warriors, her best friend … and the man she’s been secretly in love with for years. But since the gorgeous, if overprotective playboy has only ever seen her as his BFF, she’s finally ready to relinquish her tattered fantasy and move on. Enter steps two and three: new job and new man.

Football is Dominic's life, and with his contract soon up for renewal, all his focus needs to be on the game. But Tennyson—dependable, logical Tennyson— is making that next to impossible with her mysterious new job and her sudden interest in online dating. He doesn’t do relationships. But the thought of another man touching her sexier-than-hell curves has him suddenly wanting more from his best friend.

Indulging in hot, dirty, what’s-my-name sex with no strings and lots of benefits is simple, uncomplicated…until it’s not.

Each book in the WAGS series is STANDALONE:

* Scoring with the Wrong Twin
* Scoring Off the Field

Release Date: March 12th, 2018
Goodreads | Amazon US * CA * UK * AU | B&N | Kobo | Google Play | iBooks

USA Today Bestselling author Naima Simone’s love of romance was first stirred by Johanna Lindsey, Sandra Brown and Linda Howard many years ago. Well not that many. She is only eighteen…ish. Though her first attempt at a romance novel starring Ralph Tresvant from New Edition never saw the light of day, her love of romance, reading and writing has endured. Published since 2009, she spends her days—and nights— writing sizzling romances with a touch of humor and snark.

She is wife to Superman, or his non-Kryptonian, less bullet proof equivalent, and mother to the most awesome kids ever. They all live in perfect, sometimes domestically-challenged bliss in the southern United States.

Comments