Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Darkest Heart (Dominion #1) by Juliette Cross ~**~


***5 ‘Like the Stars’ Stars***

“I love the smell of sex and brimstone in the morning.”

When THAT *Pointing up* is the opening line to a book by an author you already #fangirl over you KNOW that you’re in for one hell of a ride and what a ride it was! It was a fun, quick read that was all kinds of sweet and smexy with just the right amount of drama tossed in to keep things interesting and a whole new slew of characters I want to get to know better!

Dommiel is a self professed fiend, but he’s one I’d have at my back (and other places) without question. He may have engaged in every delectable and deviant pleasure known, and unknown to man, and done unspeakable things because he could, but his black heart is not as black as he wants to believe. I loved his snark, unholy smexyness and protective streak.

Anya has a warrior’s soul and a compassionate heart. She’s a protector of the vulnerable at her very core and has no issue running (or flying) into the fray or standing as a shield for those in harm’s way. What I loved about her was that while she had certain strongly held beliefs, she was able to see beyond them and at least adjust her belief for that particular situation and accept it for what it was.

I had a lot of fun with Dommiel and Anya as they worked together to find Uriel and got very up close and personal with each other. While there were fireworks of the smexy kind going off like crazy with these two (trust me they were HAWT!) the angsty/drama between them was on the low end, this isn’t to say they always agreed on things, but they acted like the centuries plus old beings they were who had agreed to work together. I loved their bantering, it was all kinds of fun and smexy, but more than that I loved how they truly saw who the other was at their very core and appreciated what they saw. And as for their HEA? There was a bit of a hiccup but I LOVED how that all worked out.

This was a fun read. It was easy to get into and become totally wrapped up in the world and the characters. While this is a spinoff of The Vessel Trilogy & The Deepest Well, you don’t have to read the previous books in order to start on this one. You will have an advantage of knowing certain characters who are mentioned and apart of the world, but Ms. Cross does a wonderful job at getting the reader up to speed on how the world turned apocalyptic without slowing the story down with too much information. It all comes out quite organically as we get to know Dommiel and Anya and the other characters we meet along the way.

And speaking of new characters, this one is filled with unique characters whom I want to know more about, which is a total catch 22 for me because things tend to happen to my favorites that make me give the author (whom I adore) the evil eye, but that just goes to show how well written they are. Bones intrigues me, Nadya I’m hoping to see more of, but I must admit (though I’m not sure I want to just cause) I want to cuddle up with Axel, Gustav & Wolfrick (Yes. I’m claiming three of them *BSEG*), though I wouldn’t kick Xander or even Maximus and Uriel out of bed if they wanted to jump in too.

So, if you love a well written PNR then this is a definite must read!

~ Copy provided by the author/publisher & voluntarily reviewed ~


Wrong side of heaven...right side of redemption.

Anya—a stoic, blue-winged angelic warrior— was bitten by a demon prince in battle, and now she has precious little time to find a cure for his deadly venom. But the only archangel with the power to stop the dark poison from corrupting her body and soul is missing. She’ll have to trust her guide, the outcast high demon Dommiel, who is as handsome as he is dangerous if she has any hope.

An outcast of his own kind, high demon Dommiel stays under cover while the war between angels and demons rages on. But when the only person who ever showed him kindness asks for his help, he has no choice but to try to save the angel. Venturing back into the dens he has avoided for so long, Anya makes him want and feel things he never thought possible.

But Dommiel knows there is no way an angel can ever love a demon…

Release Date: August 20th, 2018



Juliette lives in lush, moss-laden Louisiana where she lives with her husband, four kids, and black lab, Kona.

Multi-published author of paranormal and urban fantasy romance, she loves reading and writing brooding characters, mysterious settings, persevering heroines, and dark, sexy heroes.

From the moment she read JANE EYRE as a teenager, she fell in love with the Gothic romance. Even then, she not only longed to read more novels set in Gothic worlds, she wanted to create her own.

Comments