Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Wild Hunger (Heirs of Chicagoland #1) by Chloe Neill ~**~


***4.5 Stars***

“Snoopy was a realist. Much respect for Snoopy. Woodstock was the asshole.”

I have to admit that I went into Wild Hunger both excited and worried all at the same time. I was excited because I loved the Chicagoland Vampires series and was thrilled that didn’t have to truly say goodbye to that world and all the crazy characters I’d come to love. But I was worried because I loved the characters in CV so much and may not love the next generation as much.

Thankfully, the worry was not needed.

While it did take me a bit to get used to the new characters, I ended up loving them. Elise, Merit and Ethan’s daughter, was a really good mix of both her parents strengths and weaknesses and I love that, despite how “special” she is in the sup world, she is extremely down to earth. She does the right thing more often than not and just has a good heart.  As for the rest of the new characters, Connor, Lulu, Theo, Petra, Yuen and Riley, were a lot of fun ~ even when things weren’t so fun. Each are quite unique in their personalities and attitudes and I really enjoyed their interactions with each other.

Since this is a first in series and a spinoff, there is a lot of information getting tossed out throughout the book, especially in the beginning, to set everything up, but it didn’t overwhelm me or impede in my enjoyment of the book. I enjoyed getting the updates on the major players from CV and though I know that most won’t be making steady appearances in the series, I do hope that they will pop in briefly at some point in the series.

Overall, I really enjoyed Wild Hunger. The writing is clean and engaging. The main issue in this book was well thought out and executed, and though the resolution was good, I would have a liked a little more follow up, but I’m also not mad at it. And then there is the epilogue. I love that she mixed things up a bit with it ~ in more ways than one ~ and cannot wait to see what is coming next!

~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~



In the first thrilling installment of Chloe Neill's spinoff to the New York Times bestselling Chicagoland Vampires series, a new vampire will find out just how deep blood ties run.

As the only vampire child ever born, some believed Elisa Sullivan had all the luck. But the magic that helped bring her into the world left her with a dark secret. Shifter Connor Keene, the only son of North American Central Pack Apex Gabriel Keene, is the only one she trusts with it. But she's a vampire and the daughter of a Master and a Sentinel, and he's prince of the Pack and its future king.

When the assassination of a diplomat brings old feuds to the fore again, Elisa and Connor must choose between love and family, between honor and obligation, before Chicago disappears forever.


Release Date: August 14th, 2018


Chloe Neill is the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampires Novels, the Devil's Isle Novels, and a YA series, the Dark Elite. Chloe was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest. When she's not writing, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys--her husband and their dogs, Baxter and Scout.

Comments