Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Re-Issue Review ~ Windburn (Nightwing #2) by Juliette Cross ~**~


***4 Stars***

Another re-read and I still felt the same way about the overall story as I did the first time I read it. I loved getting a deeper look into the Morgon world, even if it was a darker one, and meeting more of the characters (Kol Moonring is still all KINDS of everything *BSEG*) who are connected to the MC’s.

The one thing that I don’t recall feeling the first time around was the frustration I had with Sorcha and some of her decisions and actions. I still loved her confidence and how she spoke her mind, but there were a few things she did that I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at. But, Lorian was still overbearing, not gonna deny that, and garnered his fair share of eye rolls, so I guess in the end they balanced each other out.

But all in all, I still thoroughly enjoyed this one and am loving going back and getting reacquainted with the characters and the world.

~ Copy provided by the author & voluntarily reviewed ~

*********************************************************************************
Original review

*** I received an ARC from Lyrical Press/Kensington Books  through NetGalley for an honest review. Expected publication date: 2/3/2015 ***

I really enjoyed Soulfire, the first book in the series, and couldn’t wait to get my hands on the second one and Windburn has lived up to my expectations.  While it is a novella, you still get a well written story that doesn’t skimp on the plot (the whole ancient blood cult/stalker issue was a great twist) or  character development.  Windburn also didn’t rehash all that was introduced in Soulfire, it did a little recap so if you didn’t read the first book, which you really should do, you weren’t lost, but kept moving forward and introduced us to new aspects of the world as well as introducing new characters *cough* Kol *cough*

I liked Sorcha from the beginning and as we get to know more about her background, it’s just really hard not to like her.  She is bold, sassy, intelligent and confident.  To say she is a vixen is pretty spot on, but she is also loyal to her friends and has a good heart. She may speak her mind, but she isn’t mean spirited in anyway.  She lives her life on her own terms, knows how to use her assets to her advantage and doesn’t apologize for any of it.   Lorian is a total dominant alpha male, or Morgon in this case.  He’s got the tall, dark, sexy and brooding down to a science and expects to have things go the way he wants.  And while he may be a little overbearing, he isn’t an ass.  So when these two get in the same room sparks fly.  I loved that while they both wanted each other, and knew it, they didn’t give in easily.  They stayed true to their natures and when they fell, they fell hard.

All in all, I’m really enjoying this series so far.  If you’re looking for looking for something fun and quick to read that is well written and has great characters I’d definitely recommend picking this one up.

No man can win her heart—until now…

In the Gladium Province, the boundaries between humans and Morgons, the dragon-hybrid race, continue to blur as a new generation surrenders to long-forbidden temptation…

Sorcha Linden does whatever she wants whenever she wants, and no one can stop her. Least of all a man. After all, they’re good for only one thing—warming her bed. But then she meets Lorian Nightwing, brother of Lucius. Seductive and iron-willed, he is determined to melt her emotional defenses—and warm her rebellious heart.

The beast within Lorian longs to cage Sorcha and mark her as his own. Forever. Yet the man within also longs to protect her. When a stalker starts leaving Sorcha suggestive gifts with cryptic messages bearing an ancient blood cult symbol, Lorian’s dragon side takes over. With her life at stake, Sorcha can no longer deny the love they share. But when evil tracks her into the night, will she be too late to claim it?

Release Date: September 24th, 2018


Juliette lives in lush, moss-laden Louisiana where she lives with her husband, four kids, and black lab, Kona.

Multi-published author of paranormal and urban fantasy romance, she loves reading and writing brooding characters, mysterious settings, persevering heroines, and dark, sexy heroes.

From the moment she read JANE EYRE as a teenager, she fell in love with the Gothic romance. Even then, she not only longed to read more novels set in Gothic worlds, she wanted to create her own.

Comments