Updated rating:
***5 Stars***
Soulfire was the first book I ever read by the author and the one that turned me all kinds of fangirl because I not only got caught up in the HEA of the characters, but fell in love with the world in which they lived. So, when it was announced that she got the rights back for the book and was going to be doing a little tweaking of the book before re-issuing it, I was both excited and anxious. Excited because I was thrilled for the author and was looking forward to seeing if I could pick out the changes (even though it has been 4 years since I picked it up) but anxious because, what if I didn’t love the book as much as the first time I read it.
Thankfully, the anxiety was washed away as soon as I read the prologue and found that I loved the story more the second time around. I can’t pinpoint exactly what the difference was from the first time I read the book to now. I couldn’t find any obvious changes or anything, and it is more than likely the fact that I have read and devoured all the books in this series and it’s spinoff that I am the one who changed since I have a different perspective on it, but I just found I loved and adored the book and therefore bumped my rating up a notch.
I didn’t read my initial review until after doing the re-read and there are no revisions to be made (though it is weird to read a review I did 4 years and see how things have changed since them in how I put my thoughts out there). My thoughts and feelings are the same, with the exception of enjoying the story more this time around.
So, if you enjoy PNR and have a thing for dragons then this series is an absolute must read!
~ Copy provided by the author & voluntarily reviewed ~
Original Review
Original Rating: 4 stars
October 20th, 2014
I received an ARC through NetGalley for an honest review
It’s rare when I read a novella/short story length book, especially a first in series, where I feel that I’ve gotten not only a good feel for the world, but for the HEA in couple, but SoulFire has given me both as well as has me looking forward to the next installment. Ms. Cross does a wonderful job of intertwining the history of the world she’s created within the story of Jessen and Lucian without taking away from either one of them, while hinting that there is even more going on than what we’ve been shown.
Lucian is hot, sweet, sexy and just a little brooding, especially when dealing with the fact that his dragon craves a human. Jessen is fun and strong and knows that she wants and deserves so much more than what her father has planned for her. While she may put herself into undesirable situations, they tend to be born more out of being who she knows herself to be than trying to prove it to others. The cast of characters that surround Lucian and Jessen were fun to meet, even the ones I wanted to smack, and well written so that they added depth to the story without taking anything away from the main HEA.
In a world divided by prejudice and hatred, only love can bridge the chasm.
Tensions are rising in the Gladium Province. The boundary between humans and Morgons has begun to blur. While the human aristocracy strives to maintain distance between their daughters and the dragon-hybrid race, fate has other plans.
As the daughter of the corporate king, Jessen Cade is duty-bound to honor her arranged marriage to a man she detests. Feeling trapped by family duty and a loveless future, she longs for more, straying to the Morgon side of the city.
Lucius Nightwing is the eldest son of the powerful Morgon clan, and the greatest enemy of Jessen’s father. When a bar-room brawl thrusts Jessen into his arms, his dragon roars to the surface, craving to sate his carnal hunger in the brown-eyed beauty. The beast in Lucius recognizes her as his own, even if the man refuses to admit the truth.
Release Date: September 10th, 2018
Juliette lives in lush, moss-laden Louisiana where she lives with her husband, four kids, and black lab, Kona.
Multi-published author of paranormal and urban fantasy romance, she loves reading and writing brooding characters, mysterious settings, persevering heroines, and dark, sexy heroes.
From the moment she read JANE EYRE as a teenager, she fell in love with the Gothic romance. Even then, she not only longed to read more novels set in Gothic worlds, she wanted to create her own.






Comments
Post a Comment