Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Re-Issue Review: Dragon Heartstring (Vale of Stars #0.5) by Juliette Cross ~**~



Short and Sweet Review of Re-Issue version


***5 Stars***

Another re-read and I found myself adoring Dragon Heartstring as much as I did the first time around, just without the surprise at how much I ended up loving Demetrius, if you want to read all about that, and have a good laugh at my little freak out, my original review is down there *points down*.

The simple and non-verbal vomity version is simply that while Demetrius’ view of the Morgon’s changed, HE didn’t. He was still all about loyalty to his family and protecting his sisters, which was very much apparent in Soulfire ~ even if he was an asshat about it all. As for Shakara, I loved her strength and how she too had a change of perspective when it came to humans and did put her money where her mouth was by using her healing powers to help humans as well.

Their journey to their HEA was fun, sweet and smexy and though things did progress quickly, it totally worked for me and I was really happy that they both got the HEA they both richly deserved.

Again, I loved how this one ties up one of the situations for Soulfire and gives a wonderful introduction to Moira, the youngest Cade sibling and heroine of Waking the Dragon. But my one question remains...will Max be getting a book? *BSEG*

~ Copy provided by the author & voluntarily reviewed ~

*********************************************************************************

***5 ‘You are my whole heart’ Stars***

Dear Ms. Cross,

I'm having a bit of a love/hate thing going on with you at the moment. I LOVE that you got me all twitterpatted and swoony over one of your oh so lickable and more alpha males. it's one of the many reasons I go all fangirl over your books, especially the ones in the Morgonkind world. But now you have me going all twitterpatted over a HUMAN and not just any human, but Demetrius Cade of all people. That wasn't supposed to happen. I was just supposed to be happy he pulled his head out of his ass and stopped being a racist asshat, but it didn't stop there and I found myself in a bit of a conundrum because he was encroaching on Kol and Paxon places on my BBF list. That was also NOT supposed to happen. So by now you’re probably thinking “Okaaayyyy, she's not showing me anything but love here?” And you're right because this is nothing but love for Ms. Cross. The “hate” part is because I had to think of a reason to justify keeping him there because I tend to only allow one male per series to occupy the top spot at a time, and there is no way in hell Kol and Pax are being moved any time soon. Well, it took a bit but I figured it out.

1) Dragon Heartstring is a prequel and is something of a bridge between the Nightwing series and the Vale of Stars series, even though it is apart of VoS, and therefore is it's own entity (in my mind anyways and

2) Demetrius Cade is human.

*Let’s out a relieved sigh then grins*

So the summary of this crazy is simply that since he is human and I consider this book to straddle both series Demetrius can share the same space with Kol and Paxon with out there being any conflict.

*BSEG*

Now that all of that has been settled it’s time for the review.

Yes, I adored Demetrius and while it wasn’t a surprise, it was because in Soulfire he was the carbon copy of his father in his beliefs and how he presented himself to the world, but in Dragon Heartstring we meet a man who’s come to some pretty life changing epiphanies and is doing his best to let his actions show this. Is he still ruthless and arrogant? When needed, very much so. But he’s finally got his priorities straight. He’s always believed that family is everything, but now he’s come to realize that it’s his family’s happiness is more important than the family business.

I loved Shakara. She was strong, intelligent and had a generous and compassionate heart. What I found most interesting, and what made me love her more, was that she too had a change of heart when it how she viewed herself and what her healing powers could be of use for in the world that she lives in. While her views on humans were not as prejudiced as some other Morgons, she had her beliefs, but those ended up changing and she saw the good she could bring to all who needed the help, not just Morgons.

Their relationship was a fun one to watch grow because neither expected the other. There was attraction and it grew into mutual respect and so much more. I loved how they kept being drawn to each other and though they the knew that their relationship would cause waves with some, they didn’t try to hide it and if I hadn’t already fallen into full adoration with Demetrius pretty much from the start, when he makes his claim know to all towards the end I would’ve been a gooey mess. The chemistry between them was smoking and holy hell did Demetrius go all kinds of alpha male sexy on Shakara, who more than definitely held her own with him.

While Dragon Heartstring could be read without having read the Nightwing series, I honestly feel that you won’t get the full impact of the man that Demetrius has become. Ms. Cross has done a great job at explaining the events from Soulfire that led to Demetrius’ change of heart, but I think you need to experience it for yourself. As for the storyline, I love how the main issue at hand was tied to the events in Soulfire and we were given closure on it. It was a nice way to tie the two series together. Now the only question that remains is...will Max be getting his own little HEA anytime soon?

~ Copy received from the the author and voluntarily reviewed ~


Demetrius Cade has long since let go of his prejudice against Morgonkind, the dragon hybrid race his father taught him to hate. But what he never saw coming was the Morgon woman who would finally teach him to love.

Shakara Icewing has watched Demetrius Cade from afar for years. Known as the most eligible bachelor and emotionally unavailable in all of Gladium Province, she sees him as the aloof, arrogant brother of her dear friend. But when they finally meet, she isn’t sure she can handle how deep and how fast they both fall.

An old enemy resurfaces and once more threatens those Demetrius loves. When Shakara plans to speak before Parliament against business tycoon Aron Grayson, she puts her own life in the line of fire. Demetrius will stop at nothing to protect the woman he can no longer live without.


Juliette lives in lush, moss-laden Louisiana where she lives with her husband, four kids, and black lab, Kona.

Multi-published author of paranormal and urban fantasy romance, she loves reading and writing brooding characters, mysterious settings, persevering heroines, and dark, sexy heroes.

From the moment she read JANE EYRE as a teenager, she fell in love with the Gothic romance. Even then, she not only longed to read more novels set in Gothic worlds, she wanted to create her own.

Comments