***4 Stars***
I used to be a huge BDB fan until I wasn’t anymore and I could never seem to get into the other series the author wrote. So, when I saw Consumed, I was hesitant to even attempt it based how things went with the other series, but after seeing a few of the reviewers I follow on GR posting very positive reviews, I figured I’d put my request in and should the powers that be approve it then I was meant to read it. So, I got approved (obviously) and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It hooked me from the start, and let me tell you THAT was one hell of a start, and I found myself becoming more and more invested in the characters, both main and supporting, lives and needing to see how everything worked out for all of them.
Anne and Danny took me for a ride. I loved them both, I did, but man do these two put each other and themselves through the ringer. Both are determined, strong willed and stubborn...I mean taking a bone from a ravenous dog would be easier than getting these two the change their minds once they’ve made a decision. But on the flip side they both have huge hearts. These hearts have taken quite a few beatings over the years, but they are golden.
Their journey to the HEA was an interesting one in that it is not the wine and roses, I’m going to woo you kind of a journey. There were some sweet and swoon worthy moments, but really it’s about two people that despite what they deem their best intentions, just end up colliding over and over again. They both have a lot of baggage to overcome, one which was pretty intense and unexpected, but the flow between them was undeniable and I love where they were at when everything was said and done.
I’m really happy that I was approved to read this baby. I was hooked from the very first page and was quite surprised at the turn things took as early as they did, but it all just worked for me and it really set the tone for the entire book. All of the characters were well written and I’m really interested to see where she goes with their evolution as the series progresses as well as what looks to be the overall arc of the series, which had a couple of twists that I didn’t see coming.
There are two short stories/novellas out right now that are freebies and prequels to the series, The Wedding from Hell Part 1: The Rehearsal Dinner & The Wedding from Hell Part 2: The Reception, that definitely help to give some background on Anne and Danny’s relationship, but also sets up one of the conflicts that finds its way into their relationship. I personally think that they should be read before diving into Consumed (especially because they are free) but you can bypass them if you so choose.
~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~
Anne Ashburn is a woman consumed...
By her bitter family legacy, by her scorched career as a firefighter, by her obsession with department bad-boy Danny McGuire, and by a new case that pits her against a fiery killer.
Strong-willed Anne was fearless and loved the thrill of fighting fires, pushing herself to be the best. But when one risky decision at a warehouse fire changes her life forever, Anne must reinvent not only her job, but her whole self.
Shattered and demoralized, Anne finds her new career as an arson investigator a pale substitute for the adrenaline-fueled life she left behind. She doesn't believe she will ever feel that same all-consuming passion for her job again--until she encounters a string of suspicious fires setting her beloved city ablaze.
Danny McGuire is a premiere fireman, best in the county, but in the midst of a personal meltdown. Danny is taking risks like never before and seems to have a death wish until he teams up with Anne to find the fire starter. But Danny may be more than a distraction, and as Anne narrows in on her target, the arsonist begins to target her.
Release Date: October 2nd, 2018
J.R. Ward is the author of over twenty novels, including those in her #1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling series, The Black Dagger Brotherhood. There are more than 15 million copies of Ward’s novels in print worldwide and they have been published in 25 different countries around the world.
After graduating from law school, Ward began working in healthcare in Boston and spent many years as Chief of Staff of one of the premier academic medical centers in the nation. She lives in the south with her incredibly supportive husband and her beloved golden retriever. Writing has always been her passion and her idea of heaven is a whole day of nothing but her computer, her dog and her coffee pot.






Comments
Post a Comment