***4 Stars***
I’ve had this author on my “Want to read” list for awhile, and for one reason or another I hadn’t taken the plunge, so when this baby popped up I decided to give it a go and I’m happy that I did. It was all kinds of sweet, smexy, heartbreaking and swoon worthyness with a good dose of frustration that had my eyes rolling but kept me turning the pages to see just how everything would work out for Jordan and Allie in the end.
I loved Allie. I did. Watching as she finally pulled on those shitkickers and took control of her life was a lot of fun to experience. She is intelligent, sweet and snarky in equal measure, but most of all has a kind of genuine sincerity in all she says and does that shows you how golden her heart is. Jordan is lethal in every way. Smexy, sweet, compassionate and blunt but without the edge and also being that strange mix of emotionally unavailable while still being available depending on where you fit into his life.
Jordan and Allie’s journey to their HEA was a fun one for me to experience. There was a bit of push/pull going on and there were moments where I wanted to reach out and Gibbs smack some sense into one of them, but the open communication they had going on aka acting like adults, made it all work for me. Their bantering was fun, the smexy HAWT and I loved how they got to know each other on every level. The angst between them was low, which I liked because there are some emotionally heavy things that happen in this one, and I loved how they got their HEA.
As I said, this is my first read by the author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing was engaging, pacing was well done and I really enjoyed the dual 1st person POV. This one does run concurrent with the first four books in the series, so I did get a taste of what had gone on in those books as well as a hint as to the conclusion of that particular storyline and while my interest is peaked, I’m also wary based on what I saw going on, so those books are still definitely on the TBR, but I’m not going to jump on them right now, but this isn’t to say that I’m going to be pushing this author to the side. She did that thing that I love and adore, she gave me a whole slew of characters to love and want more of. Sasha is hands down my favorite. This woman is kind of everything and I am crossing my toes that she gets an HEA one day. A close second is Fat Bastard ~ hard not to love the grumpy bastard *BSEG* But I want more of Mac, Tyler, Darren and Eli so I’ll be keeping an eye out for those babies!
~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~
Jordan Weston is good-looking, mysterious, and sexually uninhibited, but his life is more like the name of his bar—Just an Illusion. His cousins are the bad boys of Bastards and Dangerous, but their fame hasn’t made everything rainbows and sunshine for him. He’s haunted, flawed, and the sole survivor of a homicide that wiped out his immediate family.
Allie Baker, the most recent hire at the bar, can see through Jordan’s façade. She knows he’s everything she doesn’t need, but she’s beginning to crave his cocky attitude and the way he looks at her. The more she tries to stay away from him, the more she wants to get to know him.
Jordan knows falling for an employee is a bad idea, but Allie pushes buttons he never realized he had. Even though Allie desperately needs her job, she soon decides being with Jordan is more important. Will they be able to compromise, or will she let her chance at love pass her by for the sake of a paycheck?
Release Date: January 29th, 2019
D. Kelly, author of The Acceptance Series, The Illusion Series, and standalone companion novels Chasing Cassidy and Sharing Rylee, was born and raised in Southern California. She’s a wife, mom, dog lover, taxi, problem fixer, and extreme multi-tasker. She married her high school sweetheart and is her kids’ biggest fan.
Kelly has been writing since she was young and took joy in spinning stories to her childhood friends. Margaritas and sarcasm make her smile, she loves the beach but hates the sand, and she believes Starbucks makes any day better.
A contemporary romance writer, D. Kelly’s stories revolve around friendship and the bond it creates, strengthening the love of the people who share it.






Comments
Post a Comment