***4 Stars***
Like many who follow/love this authors words, I was totally looking forward to Pretty Reckless coming out, but unlike most, it wasn’t the romance part that was getting me excited, it was being able to dive back into the world that introduced me to her words and fall in love with them. It was knowing/hoping that I’d get glimpses of at least some of the Sinners of Saint crew and start getting to know the Tothole’s. So, I went into this book with a very different frame of mind and though there are a few things that I went “Hmmm” at, I ended up getting what I wanted out of it and enjoying the ride.
But as far as Daria and Penn are concerned. Both tried me. Tried me hard. I could understand what made both of them tick, why they felt the way they did and why they did the things they did. But for me it was Daria who came out way ahead in the end. It’s not that I didn’t like Penn, I did, but when I look at all the things that Daria went through and how she evolved as the book progressed, she is just came out the stronger of the two for me. Am I happy with how things ended up for them? Yeah, I mean this is a romance and if they’re happy, I’m happy, but separately? Daria is Queen.
The Drama ~ Dude, the drama/angst was high and kinda too much for me on some fronts. I know that, for the most part, it was all done to push Daria (mostly) to evaluate herself and spark that change in her, but it was just like ‘Damn’ the Mean Girl/Boy stuff definitely went there. As for Mel. Of all the Sinners (sorry, Bane isn’t a Hothole so I have to use sinners but note that I ADORE him) women, Mel is my least favorite and she didn’t help herself here. I know that her intentions were good, but as they say “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” and that’s what happened. I know there are those that will tell me I shouldn’t judge/being a parent is hard etc etc etc. And they are absolutely correct, it is probably the hardest “job” in the world, but she did a few too many things that didn’t sit well with me regardless.
The Goodness ~ Straight up: The Hotholes and the Totholes (Daria included). They made this book for me. Seeing how tight they all are and how, regardless of everything else going on, they are family was straight up goodness for me and I cannot wait to get my hands on Angry God and Broken Knight.
This review actually turned out longer than I had intended (Go figure...the road and all) but the words were all jumbled up in my head and needed out, so verbal vomity review it is. And the bottomline is that this book took me on one hell of a ride, ended up enjoying it and cannot wait for the next ones in the series.
We were supposed to be best friends
But turned out to be worst enemies…
Penn
They say revenge is a dish best served cold
I’d had four years to stew on what Daria Followhill did to me, and now my heart was completely iced.
I took her first kiss.
She took the only thing I loved.
I was poor.
She was rich.
The good thing about circumstances? They can change. Fast.
Now, I’m her parents’ latest shiny project.
Her housemate. Her tormentor. The captain of the rival football team she hates so much.
Yeah, baby girl, say it—I’m your foster brother.
There’s a price to pay for ruining the only good thing in my life, and she’s about to shell out some serious tears.
Daria Followhill thinks she is THE queen. I’m about to prove to her that she’s nothing but a spoiled princess.
Daria
Everyone loves a good old unapologetic punk.
But being a bitch? Oh, you get slammed for every snarky comment, cynical eye roll, and foot you put in your adversaries’ way.
The thing about stiletto heels is that they make a hell of a dent when you walk all over the people who try to hurt you.
In Penn Scully’s case, I pierced his heart until he bled out, then left it in a trash can on a bright summer day.
Four years ago, he asked me to save all my firsts for him.
Now he lives across the hall, and I want nothing more than to be his last everything.
His parting words when he gave me his heart were that nothing in this world is free.
Now? Now he is making me pay.
Release Date: April 29th, 2019
L.J. Shen is an International #1 best-selling author of Contemporary Romance and New Adult novels. She lives in Northern California with her husband, young son and chubby cat.
Before she’d settled down, L.J. (who thinks referring to herself in the third person is really silly, by the way) traveled the world, and collected friends from all across the globe. Friends who’d be happy to report that she is a rubbish companion, always forgets people's’ birthdays and never sends Christmas cards.
She enjoys the simple things in life, like spending time with her family and friends, reading, HBO, Netflix and internet-stalking Stephen James. She reads between three to five books a week and firmly believes Crocs shoes and mullets should be outlawed.






Comments
Post a Comment