Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Severance by N.N. Britt ~**~


***5 Stars***

That was intense.

An understatement and, admittedly, one that probably didn’t need to be said if you’ve read the blurb, but this book was intense in every way possible. It was also heartbreaking and heart melting and sweet, swoon worthy and all kinds of addictive as you follow the wild, chaotic and, at times, dark, journey these characters go on to find a way to move on with their lives.

I loved Alana. We get to see her before and after the shooting and in both instances I saw a girl who is, down to her very core, a really good person and is doing her best to navigate her way through the labyrinth of life and find herself. What I ended up loving about her is that while some of her decisions were suspect, she fought. She fought for herself and found a way to pick up the pieces of her life and start to move forward with it.

As for the romance part of this story, we do get the before and after, so we get as much of a sense of who Alana and Dakota were to each other as who Alana and Mikah are to each other and while I did prefer one relationship over the other ~ won’t say which ~ they both worked for me and regardless of which couple I preferred, I really liked how things ended up.

I know some will think this is a love triangle and it isn’t, not really, it’s more of a triangular second chance romance type thing (I just read a duet where that was how things were described and it fits here pretty well), which means that there was interest, but nothing ever came of it.

Severance isn’t an easy read by any means and the author lays it all out there in the description, so no one can say they didn’t know going in. For me, it was heavy but I think the author did an amazing job showing all the ways people cope, or don’t, with experiencing something so life altering and all of the ups and downs one could go through. There is no one way anyone will grieve or cope and she gave that to us. But the story isn’t all dark, she balances things out well with light and sweet moments, as well as moments of triumph as the characters slowly start to heal.

~ Copy provided via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~

They say first love doesn’t last. Alana’s ends on the night her boyfriend Dakota dies in a deadly shooting at a Portland club.

In an attempt to look for ways to deal with her grief, Alana reaches out to Dakota’s older brother Mikah, who’s struggling with moving on himself.

Both damaged beyond repair, neither Alana or Mikah know how to cope with their loss. What’s worse, they have zero idea how to handle the unexpected feelings they start developing for each other.

Release Date: July 25th, 2019


N.N. Britt is a Los Angeles-based music journalist and photographer whose articles appeared in numerous publications. Her photos have graced t-shirts, billboards, and CD covers. When she is not writing or drinking coffee, she is probably reading or attending a heavy metal show.

Comments