Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram #1) by Darynda Jones ~**~




***4 Stars***

I seriously wish this Del Sol, New Mexico was real, because I’d so be down for a road trip to visit it and meet all the unique people who inhabit the place. But, as that is not an option I will settle for practicing patience for the next book in the series to drop, because I’m hooked and need more ASAP!

Sunshine was a lot of fun to get to know. She is sassy, sweet, observant and determined and truly cares about everyone in her life. As for the rest of the characters that inhabit this world, her daughter Auri was awesome! She is very much a teenager with her sass and insecurities, but there is a goodness to her that draws you in and I’m looking forward to getting to know her crew of friends a lot better. As for the adults, Sunshine’s parents were awesome, Quincy was a lot of fun ~ as were the rest of the crew at the sheriff’s department. Then there is Levi. I have my own take on the man, but he is definitely going to be a lot of fun to get to know.

This isn’t my first time reading a book by this author, I did dive into the Charley Davidson series for a bit, though I haven’t completed the series, so I already knew I would enjoy the author’s style and voice, which I did very much. My only real issue was that there were parts that felt like they dragged a little, nothing that put me off reading the books or skimming to get to the next part, but enough that it was noticeable though not a surprise considering that this is a first in series and a lot of info was tossed our way. As for the kidnapping. I thought it was done well and I didn’t figure out the who or why until it was all revealed, so big thumbs up for that. And as for that ending? Well, I’m all in and cannot wait to see where the next book takes us!

~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~


Sheriff Sunshine Vicram finds her cup o’ joe more than half full when the small village of Del Sol, New Mexico, becomes the center of national attention for a kidnapper on the loose.

Del Sol, New Mexico is known for three things: its fry-an-egg-on-the-cement summers, its strong cups of coffee—and a nationwide manhunt? Del Sol native Sunshine Vicram has returned to town as the elected sheriff--an election her adorably meddlesome parents entered her in--and she expects her biggest crime wave to involve an elderly flasher named Doug. But a teenage girl is missing, a kidnapper is on the loose, and all of it's reminding Sunny why she left Del Sol in the first place. Add to that trouble at her daughter’s new school and a kidnapped prized rooster named Puff Daddy, and Sunshine has her hands full.

Enter sexy almost-old-flame Levi Ravinder and a hunky US Marshall, both elevens on a scale of one to blazing inferno, and the normally savvy sheriff is quickly in over her head. Now it’s up to Sunshine to juggle a few good hunky men, a not-so-nice kidnapping miscreant, and Doug the ever-pesky flasher. And they said coming home would be drama-free.

Release Date: April 7th, 2020

NYTimes and USA Today Bestselling Author Darynda Jones has won numerous awards for her work, including a prestigious RITA, a Golden Heart, and a Daphne du Maurier. As a born storyteller, she grew up spinning tales of dashing damsels and heroes in distress for any unfortunate soul who happened by, annoying man and beast alike. She currently has two series with St. Martin's Press, the Charley Davidson Series and the Darklight Trilogy. Darynda lives in the Land of Enchantment, also known as New Mexico, with her husband of more than 25 years and two beautiful sons, the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys. She can be found at www.daryndajones.com.

Comments