***4.5 ‘Ultimate Checkmate’ Stars***
I’m a little all over the place with this one, not in a bad way at all, in fact the wonky is more about what I can put in this review vs. what I want to put in it but can’t because the whole non-spoilery thing is in full effect for various reasons.
So first Magnolia and Moses
I freakin’ ADORED these two. It’s really that simple. I loved that they were both “seasoned” by life and were totally living their truths. They gave each other 100% of who they were ~ the good, the bad and the ugly ~ no holds barred and not only respected each other for it, but ended up becoming even stronger for it as individuals and as a couple and the love was real.
If you’ve read Creole Kingpin, you know the bomb that was dropped at the end ~ if you haven’t, you’re in for a treat ~ and I had my guesses at what would go down and though I was wrong, I cannot deny that I thoroughly enjoyed how it all played out because it was exactly how Mags and Moses would react to it in my mind.
As for the other crazy that was going on around them. The twists and turns were done well. There were a few WTF moments, a few moments of me grinning like a fool (especially when it came to a certain cameo by a fav charrie and mention of another fav) and a few “Oh no she didn’t” ones that garnered an evil eye or two ~ not gonna lie. But in the end, I cannot deny that I was good with how everything turned out.
This duet is a great read. The balance of drama, humor, smexy and angst was done well. The suspense aspect kept me on my toes and instead of overshadowing the romance, it ended up making it feel more real and intense. And then there are the characters that populate this world. I always end up either falling into fascination with them, or deeper in love with them if I’ve already met them and that’s what I did here. There are actually a good handful of secondary characters I am crossing my toes will get their own HEA’s at some point ~ one wouldn’t be a surprise to anyone, the other would most definitely be ~ but I loved getting to know them all and cannot wait to see if they pop up in the future in one way or another.
Note: You can read this duet without reading any of the others that have come before it, and I know that there are a lot of them, BUT I truly believe that reading the Mount, Savage and Legend trilogies will take your experience of the Magnolia Duet so much more fun. But that’s just my opinion.
~ Copy provided by the author & voluntarily reviewed ~
I didn't choose this path. No one would.
I played the cards I was dealt.
The life made me. The city made me.
I won't apologize for who I've become.
Moses wouldn't have me any other way.
He says he wants forever, and I'm starting to believe him.
But I can't outrun my past, and my sins are catching up with me.
If it's time to atone, I'll gladly pay my penance.
We might be getting our second chance, but we have to make it out alive first.
Release Date: April 14th, 2020
Creole Kingpin (Book 1)
Release Date: March 10th, 2020
Making the jump from corporate lawyer to romance author was a leap of faith that New York Times, #1 Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author Meghan March will never regret. With over thirty titles published, she has sold millions of books in nearly a dozen languages to fellow romance-lovers around the world. A nomad at heart, she can currently be found in the woods of the Pacific Northwest, living her happily ever after with her real-life alpha hero.
Sign up for Meghan's newsletter and receive exclusive content that she saves for her subscribers: http://meghanmarch.com/subscribe
To get the inside scoop on a daily basis, search Meghan March's Runaway Readers on Facebook and join the fun.







Comments
Post a Comment