Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Splinters of You (Retired Sinners #1) by Anne Malcom ~**~




***5 ‘I’d Much Rather Live My Nightmare In Peace Rather Than My Dream in Terror’ Stars***

There are books you devour and there are books you savour...this was a book I savoured because it needed to be, because it demanded that it be. From the first page it demanded my full attention and to take in every word as if it there were the most precious metals in the world and I enjoyed every single one and absolutely hated it when there were no more to read.

Magnolia Grace enchanted me. Yes, she is something of an anti-heroine. She may not be someone you will like, much less love, but she ended up being everything for me. Her brutal honesty about herself, those around her and just how she saw the world spoke to me on a level I don’t always experience. Her inconsistencies, which weren’t all that inconsistent in the end, intrigued me and I have to admit I kind of want to be like her when I ‘grow up’, though I doubt I’d even come close.

This book was definitely not what I thought it would be and I loved it. It does go to some dark places, there are triggers and it will definitely have you questioning your own demons, but it also has just enough not so dark moments to balance everything out. And as for the secondary characters? Well, the ones that end up sticking to Magnolia, I loved. They were all unique characters that made this book a lot of fun to read and I cannot wait to get to know them better, because only the surface was scratched on just what makes them all tick. Now you may, or may not, be wondering why I didn’t do a section on Magnolia’s ‘Muse’, well, because I didn’t want to give too much about him away, though I will say that I kinda adored him from the start.

~ Copy provided by the author & voluntarily reviewed ~

Words are my weapon.

Stories wrap around my soul, choking me, capturing you.

I don't work in dreams.

I don't offer escapes.

I cage you within my nightmares.

Magnolia Grace is a horror writer, despite what the name might suggest.

One of the best in the business, if you asked around.

Pressure comes with that title. Expectation for the next nightmare. The next bestseller.

Sickness.

That's what it is.

She can't be healthy. Because that means she won't write.

And she hasn't been writing.

A looming deadline and a crumbling psyche drive her into the woods. To a cabin which was the site of a grizzly murder.

A serial killer, butchering women, toying with her.

Her plan is to borrow some of the horror that seeped into the soil.

But hers follows her.

The woods are meant to be her escape. But they are almost her demise.

Almost.

He was an unlikely saviour. An unexpected muse. He has horrors of his own. A motorcycle club looking to settle a score. A soul too broken to offer her anything but pain.

Release Date: April 30th, 2020
Goodreads | Amazon US * UK * AU * CA

Anne Malcom  has been an avid reader since before she can remember, her mother responsible for her book addiction. It started with magical journeys into the world of Hogwarts and Middle Earth. As she grew up, her reading tastes grew with her. Her obsession with books and romance novels in particular, gave Anne the opportunity to find another passion, writing. Finding writing about alpha males and happily ever afters more fun than reading about them, Anne is not about to stop any time soon.

Comments