***4.5 Stars***
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It had some great characters that I am crossing my toes that I will see again at some point in the future, the budding romance between Lucien and Emma hit all the right buttons and OMG the food. The. FOOD. I swear I gained 20lbs just reading the book, but all in all this was a great read.
Lucien and Emma. I have a thing for broody, batter, grunting males and Lucien definitely fit the bill at the start, but what also came through was just how golden his heart was. His care, compassion and just overall protectiveness of those that he called his own totally won me over. Emma, I adored this woman. She has moxie. I loved her sass, sweetness and how she dealt with her world going sideways.
As for their journey to their HEA. It was all kinds of instant attraction, but with a slow burn pace. Both Lucien and Emma had things to work through and really liked how they tended to gain moments of clarity through their interactions. Now not all of their interactions were funny, sweet or smexy ~ some got pretty intense ~ but they both came out stronger for it in the end. Their bantering was a lot of fun, chemistry was intense and I just liked their flow. As for that big bump in their road. That was a rough situation and I still waffle over it because while my ultimate reaction definitely sides with the majority, I can’t help but empathize and I do love how everything ended up working out for them in the end.
I jumped at the opportunity to read this book because I’m a fangirl of the author’s, but I was also a little wary because the last book I read by her was Dear Enemy and that one didn’t go over all that well and since this one is connected to it, well, lets just say that my fingers and toes were crossed in hope that this experience would be better, and it was in every way. As sweet as this book is, there are some deep, intense moments that could make one uncomfortable, but they are handled well and then there is the supporting cast of characters. They were all awesome and I’m crossing my toes that we get to see Amalie, Sal, Brommy, Tina, Anton and Tate again, whether it’s because they get their own HEA or not!
~ Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley & voluntarily reviewed ~
Life for Emma isn’t good. The world knows her as Princess Anya on Dark Castle, but then her character gets the axe—literally. The cherry on top is finding her boyfriend in bed with another woman. She needs a break, and sanctuary comes in the form of Rosemont, a gorgeous estate in California promising rest and relaxation.
Then she meets the owner’s equally gorgeous grandson, ex–hockey player and current recluse Lucian Osmond, and she sees her own pain and yearning reflected in his eyes.
He’s charming when he wants to be but also secretive and gruff, with protective walls as thick as Emma’s own. Despite a growing attraction, they avoid each other.
But then there’s an impromptu nighttime skinny-dip, and Lucian’s luscious homemade tarts and cream cakes start arriving at Emma’s door, tempting her to taste life again…
In trying to stay apart, they only grow closer—and their broken pieces just might fit together and make them whole.
Release Date: February 23rd, 2021
Kristen Callihan is an author because there is nothing else she’d rather be. She is a three-time RITA nominee and winner of two RT Reviewer’s Choice awards. Her novels have garnered starred reviews from Publisher’s Weekly and the Library Journal, as well as being awarded top picks by many reviewers. Her debut book FIRELIGHT received RT Magazine’s Seal of Excellence, was named a best book of the year by Library Journal , best book of Spring 2012 by Publisher’s Weekly, and was named the best romance book of 2012 by ALA RUSA. When she is not writing, she is reading.






Comments
Post a Comment