Skip to main content

~**~ ARC Review: Playing It Safe (Sydney Smoke Rugby #7) by Amy Andrews ~**~


***5 Stars***

This book was exactly what I needed and didn’t even know it (So, yay me for clicking that little button, but then again, it is a series about rugby so it wasn’t all that difficult to do).

It had me grinning, swooning and drooling, like a fool the entire time and even when the growlies happened, I was still all in and in total adoration of Donovan and Beckett.

So, yeah, I adored Donovan and Beckett. Donovan is dedicated, laid back and an over thinker (something I totally understood) and at a crossroads in his life. But what I really liked was how honest he was with himself at every step. Beckett was a lot of fun because he totally owned who he was. He had this light and ease about him that drew me in and had me wishing we could be friends in real life.

Their journey to their HEA was a lot of fun to experience. Yes, Donovan had a lot to work through on his end, but they had a connection, a chemistry that had me rooting for them from the moment they met and I really liked how everything played out and worked out for them in the end.

I have to admit that I haven’t kept up with the series, but though I have missed a couple of the books, I wasn’t lost and thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with the team and their families. The angst is low in this one and very character driven, which I really liked because both had enough to deal with on their own without outside crazy going on. Also, I’ve become a huge rugby fan in the last few years (thanks in part to the USMLR and there being a team based in my city who I fully support as well as being an AB’s fan for the last decade or so) so I was totally connecting with Beckett when he watched the Smoke play, because it is definitely something to experience whether its live or on TV. 

So, if you’re looking for a fun and quick MM sports romance, then this is a definite must click for you!

~ Copy provided by the publisher & voluntarily reviewed ~


Donovan Bane loves playing rugby for the Sydney Smoke. And if that means he has to keep his sexuality a secret, that’s a sacrifice he’s prepared to make. At least until after he retires, anyway. He doesn’t want to be the first pro rugby player in Australia to officially come out while still playing. The team doesn’t need the media shit storm and he’d rather be known for his footy skills. Which means no dating, no relationships, no sex. Nothing but playing ball.

Until one man suddenly changes everything…

Beckett Stanton is out and proud—and not looking for a guy who isn’t. Been there, done that, complete disaster. Unfortunately, on the first day of his new job working for the Sydney Smoke, he locks eyes with Donovan Bane and he’s a goner. Big, gruff, and athletic isn’t usually Beck’s type, but for some reason this man is ticking all his boxes. And it’s clear the feeling is mutual. It’s also clear that Donovan is not out, and doesn’t plan to be anytime soon. Still, Beck can’t resist being the man to show Donovan everything he’s been missing.

For the first time, Donovan doesn’t play it safe and allows himself to indulge in things with Beck he knows he can’t have. But when their relationship gets serious, he knows he has to choose between the career he loves and the man he loves, because how can he possibly have both?

Release Date: September 6th, 2021

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Kobo | iBooks | Google Play 

Amy is an award-winning, USA Today best-selling Aussie author who has written seventy plus contemporary romances in both the traditional and digital markets.

Her books bring all the feels from sass, quirk and laughter to emotional grit and panty-melting heat.

She loves good books and great booze although she'll take mediocre booze if there's nothing else. For many, many years she was a registered nurse which means she knows things. Anatomical things. And she’s not afraid to use them!

She recently took a sea change and lives by the ocean with her husband of 29 years.

Website | Facebook | Goodreads | Twitter

Comments